Friday, July 23, 2010

~*It's done *~

Can you tell what that is there in the center bottle? It's pure vanilla extract. Homemade no less. And it is soooo good. And so easy to make. I started making my own a few years ago, I found the recipe somewhere and thought it should be so much cheaper than buying it... and it is. And so much better. And look at the size of that bottle. Plus there is more left in the bottle I made it in. When this bottle starts to get low I make another batch. It has to sit for 6 months at the least so you can't just whip this up. But it is so well worth the wait. All you need is 6-8 vanilla beans, brandy (you can use vodka too, but I prefer the brandy, it is much richer and deeper in flavor) and a clean bottle. Pour the brandy in the bottle, make slits down the length of the vanilla bean and put them in the bottle of the brandy, put the cover on the bottle. Now put it in the back of a cupboard, swirling it around occasionally for at least 6 months. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID! After 6 months you will have the best pure vanilla extract you have ever tasted. You will want to bake cookies, cakes, etc. just so you can use it. Last Christmas I gave small bottles of this in some gift bags with my homemade jams. I keep the used beans in the bottle I have going, and use new beans in my new batch. It just enhances the flavor. Now, go make your own and stop buying that expensive stuff in the stores!
Have a great day!

3 comments:

Laurie Anne said...

I think I may have to try this. My brother brought me some Mexican vanilla and it is pretty good, but I do a lot of baking and it is running out. Where do you get your vanilla beans?
:0)

Kathy said...

I'm totally making this!!

Twilight40 said...

wow, you must do a lot of baking ;) Thanks for sharing it's a good idea.

Cheryl M.