Thursday, January 15, 2009

~*a yummy doggy recipe*~

Yesterday I said I made homemade dog biscuits as a retirement gift for one of our K9s whose last day on the streets is today! His police officer/handler Matt is being promoted to Detective and he will be spending his days at home now protecting Matt and Jenn's new baby come April. Someone asked me for the biscuit recipe. I did give Bella one of these yesterday and she gobbled it right up, and she is a doggie biscuit snob....

Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits

½ cups water(add more water later if required)


½ cup oil


2 eggs


3 tablespoons peanut butter


2 tsp. vanilla


2 cups flour


½ cup cornmeal


½ cup oats
Blend wet ingredients together. Whisk dry ingredients together and mix into wet mixture to form a ball of dough. Roll out and shape. Put onto a non-stick cookie tray or lightly greased one. Cook 20 minutes at 400 F. Turn off oven and allow the biscuits to cool in oven until crisp and hard. Store in airtight container.


I didn't add any extra water and I do have a 3" dog bone cookie cutter. It made quite a bit of cookies and I made them fairly thick. I do like to make them as gifts for friends dogs on special occasions, or on events such as this, but if you have a problem with store bought dog biscuit's you could make these. Bella prefers IAMS puppy biscuits and usually gets a huge box each year for Christmas. But like I said, I wanted to check to make sure these were good and she took it and crunched it right down. And believe me, when she doesn't like something she will let you know. She takes it from your hand and then drops it on the floor right in front of you! Ok, go ahead and try them and let me know how your doggies like them!

Have a great day!



5 comments:

Janene said...

Marie~Thanks for suppling the recipe...These have to be healthier than the store bought ones that I purchase. I will have to get the ingredients this weekend and whip a batch up. I will let you know how they turn out!

Sue said...

Love the recipe and am going to make some this weekend for my "granddogs" All 3 of them will love it. They all know I always give them a treat. Any idea how long they will be good for. Just want to make sure there is not a short shelf life. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Thanks, Sue

Terry said...

I wonder what it is about peanut butter that dogs love?
I was buying treats at our farmers market last summer, and Olive O was nuts about them.
I will certainly give this a try.
Where did you find the bone cookie cutter?
Thanks for the recipe!
Terry

Denise said...

Thanks for the cookie recipe. My guys will love them.

I have a bone cookie cutter that I bought last year to make bone shaped rice krispie treats. We had a 1st Bday party for Spikey!! My grandkids had the best time!

carolyn at cranberry crossings: said...

Pepper loves peanut butter too, so she will love these! Thanks for the recipe Marie!

Have a blessed week!