Sunday, December 21, 2008

~*jack frost nipping at your nose*~

Snowing again today, it is so pretty, but makes for a messy commute anywhere. Not that I have to go anywhere today.

Every Christmas I host breakfast at my house. I like it. It is easy and fun and it all started when my kids were the only grandchildren and my parents didn't have anymore small children at home to watch dig in to unwrapping all the gifts from Santa. They and my younger brother would come to my house in their jammies at the crack of dawn (when the kids got up!) to watch them as they came out of their bedrooms to see what Santa had left them and started opening all their presents. It also made it possible for us to stay home later so they could play with all their new toys before we had to leave for Christmas dinner since everyone had such a big breakfast, dinner could be later in the day. As the years went on and my kids got older we were able to move breakfast back to a more reasonable time. Now we have a more brunch type meal at around 10am after morning Mass, where my mother plays bells. It also gives my brothers and their families time to open all their gifts. Each year we have hosted it I have made the same dishes. Mostly overnight dishes that I just have to pop in the oven in the morning and bake. And some bacon, sausage and such that I cook the night before till it is almost done and then throw in the oven to finish off and warm the next morning. There is nothing like a good hearty breakfast with your family on Christmas morning. I have really love this tradition that Dan and I started with our kids and my family.
This is my centerpiece this year. I love blue. My tablecloth is blue with sparkly snowflakes on it. The ornaments in the bowl are all different shades of blue with snowflakes. I also have some blue metallic candle sticks on either side of this. I love the way it looks this year. Simple but elegant.

The snowman at the end of my table is a new one Dan got me this year. He isn't going to stay there. He always surprises me with new snowmen, and this guy is now exception. He is a candle holder. I think he may go on a window sill, since I have those really deep (22 inch) window sills.


Have a great day!

1 comment:

Mandie said...

Happy Happy Holidays!

Wishing you and your family a very happy holiday and bright new year!

-Mandie
http://hbcorner.etsy.com
http://lifeinthecraftlanewithmandie.blogspot.com