Monday, November 24, 2008

~*Christmas decorating already???*~

I noticed that some of you have started decorating for Christmas already. Really? I don't usually start until after Thanksgiving and even that is new for me. My son's birthday is the 10th and to make sure he didn't feel that his birthday was squished in between Thanksgiving and Christmas I would not decorate the house for Christmas until after his birthday party. That usually only gave me 2 weeks to get Christmas going in my house but I felt it was important. Now that he is older, he doesn't mind that I start decorating Christmas after Thanksgiving. But I don't start before then. I like to let it feel fall like as long as I can and here in New England it goes by fast enough as it is. I love the smells of Thanksgiving and the crisp Autumn feel. Also, I have a ton of snowmen and even after Christmas I keep them out all winter long, so those decorations are out for a long time.
That is my schedule for holiday decorating. I was just curious what everyone else thinks about Christmas decorating before Thanksgiving and why you do or don't do it. Ok, I have some pies and a cheesecake to get started today and on top of everything else going on, my neighbor died yesterday and so we have the viewing tonight and the funeral tomorrow. It is really sad, he was a very nice man.
Ok, on that note, have a great day!

9 comments:

Jo-Anne said...

We usually wait until after Thanksgiving. Our youngest daughter's birthday is Dec. 5th and I originally had the same feeling as you with your son. But she started asking for a "Christmas Birthday" and wanted the house all decked out for her birthday....so now we do it before her birthday! But, it all come down before the new year begins! :)

Char said...

I too never started decorating before Thanksgiving...but, I was so anxious seeing everyones stuff going up....i just couldnt' resist getting something up and out for Christmas!

Sandy said...

So sorry to hear about your neighbor...

I always start decorating after Halloween being Canadian our Thanksgiving is always early October. I try to at least not decorate until after Remembrance Day (Nov 11). I like to have everything up for at least a month and then like you, I keep my snowmen out all Winter long until at least Easter. I love having the spirit of Christmas in the house.

Wendy said...

I too wait til at least Thanksgiving night!!! Thats what we used to do with our kids when they were younger, we would put the tree up after our Thanksgiving meal, now that their older and pretty much have their own lives we do it sometime during the Thanksgiving weekend!!~Wendy

carolyn at cranberry crossings: said...

Marie, I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor. It's sad anytime, but especially at the holidays. My hubby lost his Dad right before Thanksgiving many years ago. And the 11th month anniversary of my Mama's passing will fall on Thanksgivig Day, so this & Christmas will never be that same for us. We just have to try to move on.
I normally do not decorate until after Thanksgiving too, but the closer the holidays get, the less I felt like doing anything. This year we are hosting Thanksgiving for part of the family, so I went ahead and got some of the decorating done and out of the way.
Now that the biggest parts are done, I'm relieved. But I still have some Fall and Thankgsgiving stuff out too. I didn't do all the Christams decorating yet.
Have a great week!

Linda said...

I usually wait until after Thanksgiving but this year I had to get fall down early to take some pics of our house with no seasonal decor for Mercantile Gatherings magazine. And then I have another reason I had to have Christmas decor done early. Next year it is back to the day after Thanksgiving!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm glad I stopped by! It looks like a lot of fun here.

vivian said...

hi marie, I wait til a day or two after thsnksgiving too. only because I feel the thanksgiving is important enough to stand alone. but I do get antsy in that week to get christmas up! Plus I have cute thanksgiving things that i like to enjoy on thanksgiving. I have a daughter whose birthday is today (the 6th) but we always have managed to make it special inspite of christmas decorations.. (probably different for little girls!)
hey, did you ever recieve the november package I sent you? I thought you probably wouldnt recieve it in time for thanksgiving.. but I'm so slow at getting things in the mail!!
hope you liked it.
have a great weekend!
vivian

carolyn at cranberry crossings: said...

Hey Marie,
Just stopping by to tell you that I miss you! Hope all is well at your place. :)