Friday, August 01, 2008

~* the pickle recipe *~

So many of you asked for the pickle recipe from yesterday's post. I posted it last year, but I will post it again with my adaptations. It originally came from Cooking Light magazine, August 2007.
Easy Refrigerator Pickles
6 cups thinly sliced cucumbers (about 2 pounds) I use a Mandolin to slice and put it on the #3 slice thickness.
2 cups thinly sliced onions
1 1/2 cup white vinegar I double this and the sugar, salt and seeds so I have a lot of extra pickle juice and use this to pickle hot peppers after the pickles are done, I certainly cannot pickle them together or the pickles will be too hot.
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt I use a coarse sea salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric I have substituted saffron here, I used it the 1st time I made them since I had no turmeric, then used turmeric the 2nd and did not like them nearly as much so I went back to saffron.
Also, I have found at a restaurant supply store pickling spice that has all the seeds and a few other spices that work nicely in place of each of the seeds. I added 2 teaspoons to represent each seed ingredient doubled.
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic thinly sliced Again, I doubled this and I finely chopped the garlic.
1. Place 3 cups cucumber in a medium glass bowl; top with 1 cup onion. Repeat procedure with the remaining 3 cups cucumber and 1 cup onion.
2. Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil, cook 1 minute. Pour over cucumber mixture; let cool. Cover and chill at least 3 days. Yield 7 cups.
Pickles may remain in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Again, I vary the recipe here by adding all the cucumbers and sliced onion to a 1 gallon glass jar all at once. Over the course of the 4 days I gently stir them so they get mixed. Also, they do last longer than a month if your family won't eat them all in that time. After the 4 days I transfer the finished pickles to smaller jars and even give some away to really special people (you all would get a jar from me!!!) I use the leftover pickle juice to pickle hot pepper by simply thinly slicing them and adding them to the jar, waiting 4 days.
This recipe is so simple and even if you have never pickled before it takes really no skill. I love to put them on burgers and sandwiches. If you make them let me know how them come out.
Have a great day!!!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

This looks like an easier way of making pickles!!! I will have to remember this!!! thanks for sharing!:0) Have a great weekend!!~Wendy

Mary Isabella said...

I am going to my sister's tomorrow after church and get some cucumbers so I can pickle them.....Mary

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

Thanks so much for sharing it with us, off to copy it now!