Wednesday, January 30, 2008

*insomnia*

A few years back I had a spell of insomnia that was pretty bad. It seems I am back in that pattern again. Not as bad, but I am having trouble sleeping through the night. I fall asleep fine. I may even fall asleep early. Then, for no apparent reason I wake up. And I cannot get back to sleep for several hours. Maybe the rest of the night. I am not awaken by a noise or anything and I do not wake groggy, but wide awake and alert. So then I lay there and try to reason with myself that I need to go back to sleep because of all the things I have to do the next day and why I need to be well rested in order to do all those things. If and when I finally do fall back to sleep I feel like it is just before the alarm clock goes off. Then I can barely keep my eyes open by 2 in the afternoon. I don't even think of having anything with caffeine in it after noon! So I toss and turn until I can finally fall asleep and maybe catch a cap nap in the afternoon to recharge. Hopefully this won't last too long!!!

2 comments:

tracyellen said...

I can completely sympathize with you! I go through phases like this all the time. Like you, I can fall asleep without any problems, but it never fails that I'll wake up (wide awake) somewhere between 2 and 4 AM. I toss and turn. I put the TV on. I try reading. It doesn't help that my husband is a heavy sleeper, so I spend most of my time watching him with envy.

Hopefully you're just going through one of those phases. Mine eventually passes...I hope yours does, too.

Ann in TN said...

You are describing my sleep patterns that start almost as soon as the time changes in the fall. I fall asleep early and get up really, really early. But I am getting anywhere from 6 to 8 hours of sleep so I don't worry too much about it. I'm also a morning person, but I don't consider 2:30 or 3:00 a.m. as being morning. Right now I'm sleeping till around 4:00 a.m. That's good for me.

I just know that I can't wait for the spring time change. March 9 can't get here soon enough for me.