Thursday, October 18, 2007

*climbing on my soap box*

Ok, lets face some serious facts here, we as a society are extremely rude!
But it wasn't always this way. I remember people smiling at each other on the streets as they passed each other,saying hello or good day or holding the door open for someone else, or saying please and thank-you!
The other day while EXITING a store a guy (I certainly cannot say gentleman!) squeezed in the out door while I was trying to go out it. Get it, I was in the middle of the door leaving and he had to come up and squeeze into the store...he couldn't even wait for me to get entirely out of the door, he HAD to go in through the out door while I was going out it. HOW RUDE!!!
Now you have all had the pleasure of experiencing my feelings on behavior in public, as far as children go. But this has to do with all behavior and just plain being polite! It doesn't cost anymore time, money or effort to be polite. As a matter of fact, I have heard that you use less muscles to smile than frown and that smiling in and of itself makes you live longer! Let's try it people...a little politeness goes a long way! I always say please and thank-you, even in the drive thru...I hold the door open for people and say "you're welcome" when they thank me (IF they do) and I give my seat up to an elderly or disabled person all the time. I can remember being hugely pregnant and standing while a man just sat and looked at me...and I make my kids give up their seats to an adult coming into a room. It is just basic courtesy and I cannot stand that as a society we have gotten so far removed from it. A proud moment for me came last week while walking into the principles office my son pulled the chair out for me.....it was so touching and reassuring that he is getting it!!! Way to go, son!!!!

3 comments:

MyHeartIsAlwaysHome said...

I am with you on this soap box!

Our Red House said...

Great post. I teach my children that manners are about making yourself pleasant to be around, and thinking about the feelings of others. So if they are in a situation where they are unsure of the 'protocol' or 'etiquette', acting with courtesy, eg being polite, eating with mouth shut, listening to others etc, will see them through.

Laurie Anne said...

Totally agree. I was at a Pack Meeting tonight and EVERYONE talked through it. Rowdy kids get a little wiggle room, but when the parents chat the whole time, I can't take it. Came home with a whopper of a headache. Even Ben said it was bad. He's 8. Geeesh :0)