Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Pickle recipe

Janice asked for my pickle recipe. Here is the recipe as it is written in "Cooking Light" but I double it and I do not layer my cucumber and onion slices because during the four day waiting period I stir them up, I also put them in a one gallon jar to begin with and them put them in smaller jars when they are done...so there is room to stir. I have also put in sweet pepper strips as well, and they pickle nicely too.

Enjoy!
These pickles are crisp, refreshing, and both sweet and sour--everything a perfect pickle should be.

Ingredients
6 cups thinly sliced cucumber
2 cups thinly sliced onion
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
Preparation
Place half of cucumber in a large glass bowl, and top with half of onion. Repeat procedure with remaining cucumber and onion.
Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Pour over cucumber mixture; let cool. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 4 days.

3 comments:

Janice said...

Marie
Thank you so much for the recipe. I used to go on the Yorktowne board but moved and had a lot of things going on. I also had to downsize my dishes (Gasp) but it was a necessity. Thanks again for inviting me into your home. I love visiting. You seem like a friend to me.
Janice

oak wind farm said...

Thanks for posting your pickle recipe!

CARole said...

hi Marie. what shore are you?