Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Are you a collector?


As I eluded to in a recent post I have a collection of shot glasses. I don't really know how it started, but family and friends will bring me a shot glass from where ever it is that they go. My MIL brought me home one from Dublin. They are in a box now, awaiting the completion of the downstairs family room that will house a bar. But it got me thinking. Aside from that, do I collect anything. Not stamps or coins or anything along those lines. But I do have a collection of Pfaltzgraff. Yorktowne pattern to be exact. It started when I noticed that since my family had grown I did not have enough of one pattern dish to set a table for more than 8 people and I could not get more of the dishes I had since sadly the stores that carried my pattern had gone out of business (thanks to Wally World!). That may not sound like a lot, but my family has grown with spouses and children and I can easily need to set a table for 16 with just my family (parents and siblings and their families). So I decided to get a new set of dishes. I didn't know what I wanted but I knew it would have to fit easily into my country kitchen. I went looking and decided on the Pfaltzgraff Yorktowne. I ordered a couple sets from Amazon on a special deal for cardholders (essentially I got 2 sets of 4 piece place settings for $5 each with free shipping). Then some thrift shops and yard sales, plus I live 1/2 hour away from the Pfaltzgraff Outlet. Pretty soon my collection had grown to a respectible level. I have enough plates, cups and saucers to set a table for 35. I will find a piece here and there at yard sales or thrift shops. And I have gotten some pieces as gifts from other collectors. This is a useful collection- we use the pieces, it just doesn't sit around and collect dust. And I really do love the pattern and I think it fits in well in my country kitchen. I don't know why I didn't do this before...except that maybe I was happy with the dishes I had.

Here is a small sampling of what I have!

2 comments:

oak wind farm said...

I think your collection of dishes is wonderful!
As for me, I have collections of collections, and am always trying to pare down what I have! I am a collector by nature, I guess.
I am not activeley collecting anything right now, but have collected yelloware, wooden dough bowls and trenchers, crocks, antique and mohair teddy bears, primitive furniture, small chairs, wooden spools and bobbins, old wooden spoons, butter molds, Longaberger baskets (and some others), country decorating books,children's Christmas books, Belsnickles and old-world-looking Santas, sheep, and so much more! Some of them are dust catchers, but I also use a lot of them too.
Collecting is fun! :)

Angie said...

Awesome collection of your dishes...they're wonderful! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving me a comment! Please come see me again! :) Now, I'll come up to CT and you can teach me woodworking--then you can come to TN and I'll teach you quilting (not that I'm good at it but it's fun to try). LOL I've added you to bloglines so I'll be back to visit again! :D